Sunday, May 8, 2011

Getting back on the wagon

After another failed medicated cycle in March, the hubs and I decided that we would take the month of April off to work on ourselves. We started the 30 Day Shred together, cut way back on red meat, sweets and just tried to be healthier. Our goal in doing this was to lose a few pounds and know that when we did another treatment we would have done everything in our power to make it work. Of course the hubs has lost at least 6 pounds and I have lost none but that's no surprise is it? Thanks PCOS!

Anyway, this past Monday I had my pap and annual with my OBGYN. After her usual upbeat talk about how this would be the last time I would see her not pregnant she asked why I had not been put on Metformin yet. I told her that my RE doesn't use it to treat PCOS. According to her I should be on it from now until about 12 weeks into pregnancy. The problem is that she won't prescribe it to me while my RE is treating me. She asked me to talk to him about it and sent me on my way with wishes of luck.

So on Friday I started to spot and I called to report my day 1 for a Clomid/IUI cycle!! By Saturday morning when I went in for my baseline u/s any bleeding had completely spotted which had me really worried. Apparently though this is completely normal with PCOS and can be considered a period. So I had the u/s and have no cysts and my follicles look great. Once I sat up and was in a more dignified position (although I did have no underwear on) I asked him about the Metformin. He says that while there has been a study done that shows it to be beneficial there has also been another study done (which he gave me an article on) that shows that there really isn't a benefit unless the patient has glucose or insulin intolerance and that use during pregnancy should be left to the obstetrician. So he agree to test me so on Wednesday I will have a 2 hour Glucose tolerance test and we will go from there.

So there you have it... I'm back on the treatment wagon. Some days I feel super excited about it and some days I feel like there is no way this is going to work. Any prayers y'all can spare for me would be greatly appreciated! I have lots more to share so hopefully I'll be back soon :)

7 comments:

Lauren said...

My prayers are for sure with you! Please keep us updated!! :)

Morgan Owens said...

I've been keeping you in my thoughts..wishing you the best of luck Coco, you deserve this more than anyone I know!

Stacie said...

Well, I'd hate to wish you fail the gc test, but...if that is what you have to do to get him to prescribe Met I feel like I should! I don't know. Seems to me if the OB is the one who'd be following you during pregnancy, and she is already for you getting a script, he should just go ahead and give you one.

Sending good thoughts your way. May this be THE cycle!

Sarah said...

Sending prayers your way!

Samantha said...

I am so excited for you! Fingers crossed, can't wait to hear good news!!!

Browniris said...

Good luck!

To A T said...

Lots of prayers for you Coco!!! And of course everything imaginable is crossed!!