Monday, August 2, 2010

Might get to start treatments soon!!

I called my RE and another local clinic today. For some reason I have had a really hard time just making the call. I have said that I was going to get this done for over a week and have just been putting it off. When I finally did it today, I had knots in my stomach the whole time. Weird huh?

Hubs and are really starting to feel like it's time to be more aggressive. (really I've always felt this way but I think that he is finally starting to come around!) I called the other clinic today because I wanted to do some price comparisons. This clinic charges about the same for an IUI but they charge $300 for the initial visit. I called my regular RE and they said that although I don't really need to make an "initial visit" appointment, if I wanted to come in and talk to the dr first they would use wrong diagnosis codes so they my insurance would cover it. Honestly, that kind of ruled out the other RE right away. :)

I also asked about the price difference between an IUI with Clomid and an IUI with injectables. Lately I have really been thinking about asking about doing injects just because I really want to be more aggressive. However, there's a much bigger difference in the prices than I thought. A Clomid IUI is $950 (not including meds) and a injectable IUI is $1550 (not including meds). Apparently difference is that there is more blood work included with the injects cycle. And lets not forget how expensive injectables are when you have to self-pay.

When I talked to mom about it she just about sent out an email to all our family asking for donations right then and there. :) Not sure how I feel about that but she definitely thinks it's a valid option.

I haven't gotten to talk to Hubs about it. Our work schedule vary so much right now that it'll have to wait until tomorrow. It totally wouldn't surprise me though if he shot down the more expensive option right away. Baby steps right? :)



**Totally off subject but Mic at IFCrossroads is having her baby girl tomorrow!! I'm so excited for her! Go give her some love and wish her luck!

8 comments:

Samantha said...

I'm glad your mom (and whole family) are so supportive. I cannot wait to hear what you decide on and of course see that BFP!

Melissa said...

It sounds like you've got some great support. I definitely feel that taking the injectable route would be your better option, as Clomid just doesn't provide the same odds. Even though a Clomid/IUI cycle seems so much cheaper at first glance, you may need many more cycles of it and it could very well be the more expensive option. Injectables come along with better follicles, a higher success rate and, most importantly, stricter monitoring. Good luck with your decision!

Robin said...

Injectibles definitely up the odds, but they really up the costs too. Our last cycle was injectibles only and it cost me about $5k with all of the meds, monitoring visits, etc. Just be sure you know what you are getting youself into. My Clomid cycles were more like $1500.

Lucky Jones said...

Eekk!! I am so excited for you! Yes, it's hard making that call, but so worth it....

Leah said...

That's awesome! I see you're in Texas, do you mind me asking where? I talked to an RE a little while back and am curious were your prices came from. :)

Nancy@thefertilityblogs said...

This is really awesome news! You must be excited. Congratulations!

Carrie said...

So happy for you Nichole!! I hope R jumps on board without any problems. I also admire your Mom's efforts to help you out! I cannot wait to hear the outcome :-)

Mic said...

Hey there girlie! I'm so excited to read this post. I know how very long you've waited to have DH come around and agree so this is such a happy post for me to read :) I am wishing you all the very best and sending you my love.