Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Appointment Part 2

I'm going to have to give a little back story for this one...
Since I was about 17 I have suspected that I have thyroid issues. Besides having basically all of the symptoms, almost all of the women in my family have had some kind of thyroid issue. Every time I have had it checked I have been told that while it's slightly elevated it's still within in the normal range. A few years ago I started getting comments from my mom, aunt, grandma, etc about one of the glands in my neck looking swollen. Around that time I ended up at my primary dr for something else when she mentioned the same thing. She sent me for an ultrasound. Again, slightly abnormal but still not enough to treat it.

Ever since we have been trying to have a baby I have been worried about my thyroid being one of the issues so I have been really pushing my PCP to treat me for it. About a month ago I had another ultrasound that was once again irregular but "nothing to worry about". This time I called the nurse and asked her to check with my dr about treating me for it anyway. The nurse made me feel so stupid for even asking, saying things like "why would you want to be on medicine if you don't need it.. I don't understand" that I just let it go.

Fast forward to today. I got a call from the RE's office letting me know that my results from my thyroid bloodwork were back. The dr wants to start me on medication immediately. I asked if this could have been effecting my fertility this whole time and her answer was "of course".

While I am relieved that something is finally being done about this, I am pissed that it has taken this long. I know my body and I knew that there was something wrong but no one would listen to me. Aside from the whole affecting my fertility issue (which obviously really pisses me off) there are other things that are upsetting. I have spent the past few years feeling like I can never get enough sleep. I am always exhausted and can hardly ever make it through a movie with the hubs without falling asleep. Also I have been working my ass off at a bootcamp for 4 weeks in the 100 plus degree weather and have seen no results. No weight or inches lost.

I'm just pissed. I'm trying to figure out what I am going to say when I call my PCP and request to have the dr call me directly. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Robin said...

I think what it comes down to is that this problem IS affecting your life. Even if they think it is in the high normal range, it is obviously still high and affecting you. Can you get your RE to write a letter to your PCP? That might also help you if their recommendation is the same. Sometimes they listen to doctors better- especially since you are getting that recommendation from an endocrinologist. The other thing, maybe you should think about switching PCPs if they say no or give you crap about it. There are a LOT of PCPs out there. Find one that listens to you. I learned the hard way that you dont stay with a doctor you don't like or respect. They work for you and there are too many out there to put up with a crappy one.

Good luck, Coco. This sounds like a great step forward for you in so many ways!

Samantha said...

Just another thing showing you really DO know your body. I hate that your doctor wouldn't do anything and that would cause a trust problem with me so I'd be finding a new primary care ASAP. I do have a great feeling though that the IUI combined with your thyroid getting treated will result in something GREAT this month!!!

BabyWid said...

I'm glad you got some answers and someone finally listened to you. I really hope with this medication, you will see you BFP very soon. Stay strong and positive!!

Carrie said...

Boo Hiss to that nurse!!! Your fertility is COMPLETELY a reason to want to treat the thyroid issue, not to mention the sleep deprivation and etc!! I hope getting your thyroid under control will help with your IF!!!

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

oh babe. i wish i could hug you right now. i really really do.

Amber said...

What numbers are normal? I just had mine checked last week. I have the numbers but I don't know if they are good or not. My mom has thyroid problems and she swears that's what's keeping us from getting pregnant.