Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Jax

A lot has happened since I last updated so hopefully tonight I will write a few posts and catch up some!

One of the oldest updates is the newest member of our family, Jax (pronounced Jacks). The hubs and I had been thinking about getting another dog for a while. We wanted one more for Jade then us since she was spending quite a bit of time alone. I really wanted another Boston Terrier but hubs vetoed "buying" a dog. He said it was silly since there are so many dogs out there that need homes. My only requirement was that the dog was female and small-ish. We spent months visiting shelters and perusing website but could never find "the one".

After basically giving up hubs called me at work and said that one of his coworkers had found a puppy in a graveyard and couldn't keep it. They sent me a picture and although he was cute I immediately said no when I found out he was male. (I have had horrible experiences with male dogs that pee all over the house all the time.) They then proceeded to send me picture after picture with captions about what a sweet puppy he is. After two hours of arguing, I gave in with the condition that hubs tell them we would take him on a trial basis for the weekend and if it didn't work out they would take him back.

I then took Jade up the hub's restaurant to pick up the puppy. As soon as I got there the lady said "Oh look! Here's your new mommy!" and I knew hubs had never said anything to them about a trial. So I took the poor thing home and tried to reassure him. He was terrified! For the first three days he did nothing but sleep, pee and eat. He was so sickly that one time he peed on the couch in his sleep and didn't even notice. We took him to the vet and everything checked out so we just figured he was malnourished.

Those first days were pretty bad. He was obviously sick and honestly, I was tired of cleaning up after him. Things seemed like they got a little better after a while and then they went down hill again. All of a sudden he was peeing everywhere and all the time. We are talking waking up to pee 3 times in the middle of the night and peeing a ton every time. At some point he peed on our bed twice and we ended up at the vet again. They did all kinds of tests including bloodwork and an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a slightly enlarged kidney and the bloodwork showed signs of Canine Leptospirosis. Without going into too much detail it cause the kidneys to not absorb any water and it's contagious to humans. After a ton more tests, a negative lepto test and lots of vet visits thing started getting better. To this day neither us or our vet know what was originally wrong. I do know though that we didn't even have to potty train him after he started getting better, he just never had any accidents.

To make a long story short, we had a rough start but he's fitting right in with out family! :)
Here are a few pictures of the little man...

















This him at the vet. Poor baby was only 7lbs at 4-6 months old.



He loves to sleep with his head hanging over things. Weirdo...









It's really hard to get decent pictures of him since he is so black and so hyper! So this is pretty much all I have. This is from today...


**edited to add: Don't know what's going on with Blogger but my spacing is completely different than how I arranged it... hope it's readable!**

5 comments:

junebug said...

He is adorable!!! I have a boy and girl. The boy was fixed early enough that we haven't had any problems with peeing once he passed about 6 months. The first few months were hell which is why I say they are so darn cute so you won't kill them. Have fun with the new cuddle furbaby. :-)

Lucky Jones said...

I LOVE HIM! Well, you know that already :) And my Lucy sleeps with her head over like that. She will sleep at the head of the bed and I will wake up to her nose splat on my end table. then she wakes up with a start and tries to get back up on the bed but her paws are slipping and sliding on the table... pretty comical :)

ifcrossroads said...

Aww, he's adorable Coco. I'm so glad he's feeling better and not peeing everywhere. Dogs are a true blessing in life for sure, I'm so glad you all have a new companion in your lives.

Sarah said...

He's so cute! I'm glad he's fitting in! When Terry and I buy a house I plan on adopting a dog. Take care!

Chele said...

Awww, Jax is so cute. I'm glad things worked out for you all. He's a lucky little pup to have you as his mommy.