Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Toilet Conversation

While I was washing my hands in the bathroom today, the girl from the cleaning company was cleaning the toilets. She usually has her iPod on but always gives a smile and says hi. Anyway, I smiled and she started talking. Here's how the conversation went:

her: So, do you have kids?

me: (smiling) Nope, just me and my husband. You?

her: Yeah, I have two.

me: Oh yeah? How old are they?

her: One is 2 and one is 10 months.

me: (smile getting tighter) awww....

her: So why don't you have kids? Just don't want them? Not your thing?

me: No, just don't have any yet...

her: You know, some people just don't like kids... blah, blah, blah...

me: (interrupting) Okayyyyyy... well see you later.

Yeah, cause you know the only reason someone wouldn't have kids is cause they don't like them.... and why the freak is it any one's business anyway?

7 comments:

Emmy said...

I really don't get why people think it's ok to say things like that. I've had two similar experiences in the past week. I really just want to say a big MYOB!!!

Lucky Jones said...

Yeah, I hate convos like that... people just don't understand it's not that we don't want kids... even after 10 years of marriage I don't know how to respond to it...

Lauren said...

Ugh, what a bitch.

Did you consider throwing it in her face? "Actually, I would love to have kids and have been trying to for a long time. I've even been doing fertility treatments. It just doesn't happen that easily for everyone. So maybe you shouldn't be going around asking personal questions when you don't know what the hell you're talking about."

Steph O. said...

Ugh. I hate those conversations! I can nicely answer that we don't have children, but WHY anyone thinks it's their business to probe further is beyond me! I agree with the MYODB, or Lauren's idea, that would be fun...

junebug said...

I've stopped being overly polite and trying to save their feelings. I just tell them exactly why I can't have kids. (It's easier to tell a stranger anyway.)
I discuss the cost, the heartache, the dr.'s visit, the hell on earth that I am going thru, etc.
Funny thing is that when I do this they usually try to comeback with "advice". I explain further how I am feed up with advice and that I am sharing because people need to learn how to communicate with infertile women.
I have discovered that whether I am polite or I take the other route - it doesn't matter - they still are insensitive.
So now I just go with whatever mood I'm in. I usually just try to steer the questions away from kids as quickly as possible like by asking where they got that nice fat ass(I mean purse) they have. (just kidding!)

'Murgdan' said...

I had these conversations over and over for a long time....no one even asks anymore. So, basically, now that I've thought up a zillion awesome comebacks, people have probably given up on asking...

Boo!

Thanks for the comment regarding non-commenting. :-)

Chele said...

Hugs, those conversations are hard and unless they have been through any infertility or are close to someone they just don't get it and won't get it.